I would never think to combine bacon with sweet potatoes. I found this recipe on a Paleo website. I don’t follow the Paleo principle. I am much more flexible in my food that that. I personally don’t believe in eliminating whole food groups or think I should never have something again. Having said that, I certainly don’t discriminate either. Paleo has some amazing recipes. And this one… Its going down tonight!!
Bacon Basil Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Prep time 15 mins.. Cook time 45 mins.. Total time 1 hour
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (go for the more round and plump ones)
- 5-6 strips uncured bacon, diced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 4-5 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup dry roasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Using a fork, poke holes everywhere in your sweet potatoes. Place on a baking sheet and cook for around 25-35 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft to the touch. (you want them cooked all the way through)
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, throw you diced bacon in a pan over medium heat and let cook through.
- Once the bacon is cooking, add your basil and almonds to a food processor, turn on and slowly add your olive oil. Once combined, add your lemon juice and a bit of salt and pepper to taste.
- When your bacon is done cooking, remove from heat but leave in the pan.
- After your sweet potatoes are done cooking, let cool for about 5 minutes then cut in half lengthwise and remove the insides, being sure not to tear away the skin. That could get messy.
- Place the insides in the pan with the bacon then add your basil pesto to the pan with bacon and sweet potatoes.
- Use a fork to mash the sweet potatoes while combining with the pesto and bacon.
- Now scoop sweet potato mixture back into the sweet potato skins and top with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Place back into the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes or until sweet potatoes have a tiny bit of char to them!
- Consume! Boom!
- Add the insides of the sweet potatoes directly