I imagine by now you’ve heard all the hype surrounding “bone broth”. Honestly I find it very interesting. I actually think I’ve been drinking bone broth my entire life. We called it chicken soup. I learned to simmer the backs and necks of the chicken for hours and hours and hours before adding onion, celery, carrots, and parsley, from my grandmother. Todays recipes call for longer times. Chicken bones up to 24 hours. Not sure what will be left of the bones after that amount of time. Chicken bones will most likely disintegrate. Beef bones are more hardy. I see cooking times upward of 36 hours. In any event, if you want to give it a try, it definitely can’t hurt. I eat chicken soup year round, yes even in the summer in the Tucson. I used to give it to my kids for breakfast before school, every week. They hardly ever got sick. I always said it was the soup! So now I have doubled my cooking time to about 10 – 12 or so hours. I still make it on the stove top. And follow the same recipe I learned from my grandmother. The only thing I do different is use apple cider vinegar instead of a squeeze of lemon.
Bone broth, AKA: Chicken soup recipe.
Use a large pot.
Combine: 1 gallon of water, 2-3 full chicken carcasses. I like the wings and back meat too. (some people add chicken feet, but I do not) 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Let this sit for about 20 minutes. The acid from the vinegar helps make the nutrients in the bones more available.
Bring pot to a boil, lower to simmer about 6 hours
Cut veggies on the diagonal:
3 or 4 stalks of celery
1 large onion
3 or 4 large carrots
Add to the pot and continue simmering for another 5 hours or so.
If adding parsley or garlic add the last 30 minutes.
You can read all the hype and buzz surrounding bone broth. From me you will hear that I believe that Chicken Soup is one of the best foods you can eat. It’s comfort food so why not make it a part of your everyday life. And if all those heathy claims are for real, well then thats an added bonus!
Live Fit Spread Joy!!
1. You can do it any time you feel like it. I know I say to schedule it in and make exercise a Non-negotiable. And thats true, having a plan, a dedicated time is best. But for those times when you have a few extra minutes and you just want to get in a quick one, turn on Beachbody ON Demand and workout! Your favorite trainer is always available or try a new one.
2. There is no worrying about how you look. Thats a big one for me. I mean if Im going out in public, even to exercise, I have to at least have some makeup on, or lipstick. I want to make sure I look kind of cute. Come on, you do that to, right? So often I get my best cardio burn right at home in a moments notice, in my pjs and no bra! I Just Do It!
3. You can practice those “hard” to do moves, you know, like burps 🙂 Seriously, I know that I look ridiculous when I do them, and I’m always self-conscious when they come up in a class. I realize that no one is looking at me…. it’s just one of those things in my head. So, I do them at home, and guess what. I’ve gotten really good at them. I still probably look ridiculous, but I can do them now, without falling over! Yea!!!
4. Working out from home is time effective. How many times have you gotten to the gym and all the machines are taken. Ok, we don’t have that problem as much any more, what with all the mega gyms, but the parking lot is so full, you drive around, can’t get a decent space so you just pull out, and drive home all aggravated. Now if you workout when you get home, that would be good, ….. but instead you pour yourself a glass of wine? What a waste of precious time. The other disappointment is when the class you want to take is so full, it’s uncomfortable, so you leave. Or heaven forbid, your favorite instructor is not there! You might try hoping on the treadmill, but your bored in a minute, think of all the things you could be doing instead, and out you go. Thats not really a workout 🙁
5. Finally, working out from home is cost effective. Now listen, if you belong to one of those mega gyms that are only $20 a month and you go regularly, then thats great. Im talking to those of you who have the membership, because it’s only $20 a month, and don’t ever go. If your argument is but I can’t work out at home, I don’t know what to do. I have a solution for you. Join me, using Beachbody ON DEMAND. Be my workout buddy, we can message each other, stay connected on FB, challenge each other, celebrate each workout victory, and kick each others booty to get it done. Join my tribe and Live Fit, and Spread Joy!!
Ok, thats it….. I have to get my workout in before I take my shower and start my day. Make it a great Friday my friends.
Live Fit, Spread Joy,
Believe it or not, not everyone is interested in losing weight. Some of you might be more interested in learning how to plan a weekly menu that includes healthier food choices. Or maybe you are wanting to create healthier habits for yourself. Habits that you can live with for a long time. My approach to food is simple. Let me explain… I like food… Good food. I don’t believe in junk food, prepackaged food or strict calorie counting. I eat between 28 and 35 mini meals a week. I like to be prepared, somewhat flexible, and I give myself a controlled “cheat” about once a week.
This way of living works best for keeping my energy level up, my cravings down, and my weight stable. So with that in mind, I like to keep my food choices simple. A lot of times I eat the same food throughout the week. And because there are so many mini meals, its not boring. You’ll see what I mean when you see my weekly menu. This menu that I’m sharing with you today is planned for the active, busy, fitness conscious women who is looking to feel good, energized, and maybe even drop a few pounds. Add at least 10 minutes of exercise and Bamm, success. Make room in your schedule to jot down a grocery list, shop and prep for the week ahead. This is the exact plan I will be eating this week. I have a few weekly menus I created with all of my favorites. I don’t have to give it much thought any more. Something about being all planned out, keeps me on track. The meal plan helps me to stay sane, stay fit, and stay energized!!! If you have more than 10 pounds to lose, this plan will be a big help. If your goals are less than that, then we might have to drill down on your food a little more. If you are looking for a easy clean balanced meal plan for the week, here you go! I only share what I love, use if you would like!