The Holiday Season is here. It began last week with Halloween. That means the next 8 weeks will be crazy with holiday parties, family gatherings, and basically FOOD FOOD FOOD! There is nothing wrong with parties, or food for that matter. You need it daily to survive. HOWEVER, you can do without 3 different kinds of pie and stuffing and bread and who-knows-what to enjoy life. Its cool if you choose to eat that stuff, I indulge in it myself. But I never judge myself when I have a piece of pie. I actually it enjoy it, and then I’m done. NO guilt.
Guilty feelings do nothing but make you feel bad. And feeling bad leads youyou do it again, and again. What happens is that guilty thoughts like “why do I bother, I knew I was gonna blow it”,cause you to sabotage yourself.
Enjoying is ok ~ One day of over indulging is not going to turn you into a cow. Trust me on that. Just as it takes time to lose weight, it also takes time to gain weight. So don’t freak out! And remember, if you’re going to eat it, ENJOY IT! Otherwise whats the point.Make those calories worth it.
So how do you get past that feeling of “Ugh.. I’m such a loser”
Just keep reminding yourself that one day of over eating will not make you FAT. Tired maybe, bloated…probably, but not fat.
It’s easy to say to you, go ahead enjoy your food. But how do you actually DO it with no guilt? How do you eat the “special’ food you want and NOT freak out?
I would love to help you answer these questions and figure out a plan to going through the 2015 holiday season. Here are a few ideas I have put together.
1- Define what you want: Hint, now isn’t the time to want to lose 20 pounds. Think more about: How you want to feel? How you want to look? Step number one is to define those 2 ideas for yourself. Write down your answers and keep them in a place where you will see them every day. Be aware of these two things, keep them in your mind at all times. Use them when in a situation, ask yourself, if eating “who-knows-what” is going to help you to look and feel the way you want.
2- Come up with an exercise plan that is reasonable for you. In other words, if going to the gymfor class 3x a week does not fit in your schedule right now, don’t make that your goal. It’s unreasonable and you won’t do it. Everyone is different, so there is no cookie cutter answer for this.
The truth is that it doesn’t have to be any big thing. What it DOES need to be is CONSISTENT! Consistent effort over a period of time is what makes the difference.
3- Next thing to tackle is your nutrition plan. To sum it up, get the junk out of your house and figure out how to eat healthy at all the special events you’ll be going to. Face it, you’re not going to be 100% super duper clean eating in most cases. What you want to go for is more than a 70/30 split. 70% of the time you eat healthy foods that fuel your body. 30% of the time you are indulging in whoknowswhat. It’s better of course to work your way to a 90/10 split, but you’ve got to start somewhere! Most people that I’ve come into contact with are 30 healthy/70 unhealthy, and are unaware that they feel so crappy because of their food choices. It’s just what they’re used to- both the food AND feeling terrible.
Now I just summarized it all for you in 3 simple steps. That’s really all there is to it. There are no cookie cutter answers as everyone is different. Find what works best for you. If you’d like a little accountability, and ideas to help you through the holidays, I have a group on FB that is fun, friendly, judgement free, and kicking butt. I’d love for you to join us. Leave your name and email. I will add you.
Whats better than starting your day with a energy muffin. Between the quinoa, eggs and ham just one will fill you up and fuel your day.
Here’s what you need:
• 1 cup cooked red quinoa • 4 eggs • 2 cups zucchini, shredded • 1 cup diced ham • 1/4 cup parsley, chopped • 2 green onions, sliced • Sea salt & black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 10 muffin tins with coconut oil. 2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine. Spoon the mixture to the top of each cup. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges of the cups are golden brown. 3. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from the muffin tin.
I imagine by now you’ve heard all the hype surrounding “bone broth”. Honestly I find it very interesting. I actually think I’ve been drinking bone broth my entire life. We called it chicken soup. I learned to simmer the backs and necks of the chicken for hours and hours and hours before adding onion, celery, carrots, and parsley, from my grandmother. Todays recipes call for longer times. Chicken bones up to 24 hours. Not sure what will be left of the bones after that amount of time. Chicken bones will most likely disintegrate. Beef bones are more hardy. I see cooking times upward of 36 hours. In any event, if you want to give it a try, it definitely can’t hurt. I eat chicken soup year round, yes even in the summer in the Tucson. I used to give it to my kids for breakfast before school, every week. They hardly ever got sick. I always said it was the soup! So now I have doubled my cooking time to about 10 – 12 or so hours. I still make it on the stove top. And follow the same recipe I learned from my grandmother. The only thing I do different is use apple cider vinegar instead of a squeeze of lemon.
Bone broth, AKA: Chicken soup recipe.
Use a large pot.
Combine: 1 gallon of water, 2-3 full chicken carcasses. I like the wings and back meat too. (some people add chicken feet, but I do not) 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Let this sit for about 20 minutes. The acid from the vinegar helps make the nutrients in the bones more available.
Bring pot to a boil, lower to simmer about 6 hours
Cut veggies on the diagonal:
3 or 4 stalks of celery
1 large onion
3 or 4 large carrots
Add to the pot and continue simmering for another 5 hours or so.
If adding parsley or garlic add the last 30 minutes.
You can read all the hype and buzz surrounding bone broth. From me you will hear that I believe that Chicken Soup is one of the best foods you can eat. It’s comfort food so why not make it a part of your everyday life. And if all those heathy claims are for real, well then thats an added bonus!
1. You can do it any time you feel like it. I know I say to schedule it in and make exercise a Non-negotiable. And thats true, having a plan, a dedicated time is best. But for those times when you have a few extra minutes and you just want to get in a quick one, turn on Beachbody ON Demand and workout! Your favorite trainer is always available or try a new one.
2. There is no worrying about how you look. Thats a big one for me. I mean if Im going out in public, even to exercise, I have to at least have some makeup on, or lipstick. Iwant to make sure I look kind of cute. Come on, you do that to, right? So often I get my best cardio burn right at home in a moments notice, in my pjs and no bra! I Just Do It!
3. You can practice those “hard” to do moves, you know, like burps 🙂 Seriously, I know that I look ridiculous when I do them, and I’m always self-conscious when they come up in a class. I realize that no one is looking at me…. it’s just one of those things in my head. So, I do them at home, and guess what. I’ve gotten really good at them. I still probably look ridiculous, but I can do them now, without falling over! Yea!!!
4. Working out from home is time effective. How many times have you gotten to the gym and all the machines are taken. Ok, we don’t have that problem as much any more, what with all the mega gyms, but the parking lot is so full, you drive around, can’t get a decent space so you just pull out, and drive home all aggravated. Now if you workout when you get home, that would be good, ….. but instead you pour yourself a glass of wine? What a waste of precious time. The other disappointment is when the class you want to take is so full, it’s uncomfortable, so you leave. Or heaven forbid, your favorite instructor is not there! You might try hoping on the treadmill, but your bored in a minute, think of all the things you could be doing instead, and out you go. Thats not really a workout 🙁
5. Finally, working out from home is cost effective. Now listen, if you belong to one of those mega gyms that are only $20 a month and you go regularly, then thats great. Im talking to those of you who have the membership, because it’s only $20 a month, and don’t ever go. If your argument is but I can’t work out at home, I don’t know what to do. I have a solution for you. Join me, using Beachbody ON DEMAND. Be my workout buddy, we can message each other, stay connected on FB, challenge each other, celebrate each workout victory, and kick each others booty to get it done. Join my tribe and Live Fit, and Spread Joy!!
Ok, thats it….. I have to get my workout in before I take my shower and start myday. Make it a great Friday my friends.
Believe it or not, not everyone is interested in losing weight. Some of you might be more interested in learning how to plan a weekly menu that includes healthier food choices. Or maybe you are wanting to create healthier habits for yourself. Habits that you can live with for a long time. My approach to food is simple. Let me explain… I like food… Good food. I don’t believe in junk food, prepackaged food or strict calorie counting. I eat between 28 and 35 mini meals a week. I like to be prepared, somewhat flexible, and I give myself a controlled “cheat” about once a week.
This way of living works best for keeping my energy level up, my cravings down, and my weight stable. So with that in mind, I like to keep my food choices simple. A lot of times I eat the same food throughout the week. And because there are so many mini meals, its not boring. You’ll see what I mean when you see my weekly menu. This menu that I’m sharing with you today is planned for the active, busy, fitness conscious women who is looking to feel good, energized, and maybe even drop a few pounds. Add at least 10 minutes of exercise and Bamm, success. Make room in your schedule to jot down a grocery list, shop and prep for the week ahead. This is the exact plan I will be eating this week. I have a few weekly menus I created with all of my favorites. I don’t have to give it much thought any more. Something about being all planned out, keeps me on track. The meal plan helps me to stay sane, stay fit, and stay energized!!! If you have more than 10 pounds to lose, this plan will be a big help. If your goals are less than that, then we might have to drill down on your food a little more. If you are looking for a easy clean balanced meal plan for the week, here you go! I only share what I love, use if you would like!